Lonely on a Friday night? That’s fine because love might just be a few clicks away! For the uninitiated Tinder is a Geo based dating app, that uses a unique algorithm to put a number of members of the opposite sex as options in front of you, giving you the option to either choose to want to talk to a person (By swiping Right) or choose not to talk to them (By swiping Left). For two people to match both have to swipe right. While internationally it’s being used as a hook up app. In India it has taken on the form of a dating app.
Now that we have the basics down, let’s discuss how to build a good profile. Why you ask? Now I know you think you’re the second coming of Salman Khan and any girl would be lucky to match with you. The problem is so do all the other guys! So how do you stand out among thousands of guys, when you have just a first seconds to make an impression?
Image Courtesy: droid-life.com
Follow these simple tried and tested methods to increase your chances of getting a match by optimizing your profile:
A) Profile photo (First photo): According to a study by OKCupid, women respond to five key elements:
Women respond to five key elements in men’s photos on dating apps/sites:
1. Mystery (looking away from camera)
2. Prosocial behavior (Seem to be doing something socially positive, like helping a child)
3. Preoccupation with something else (Don’t seem to be posing, a photo of you doing something)
4. Preselection by other women (Photos with other women)
5. Hotness (facial hair, hairstyle, clothes, posture, physique, etc.)
Furthermore, remember a few more things for your picture. Ensure that your image is not out of focus, no one likes a blurry image. Don’t let your first image be a group photo! If she can’t figure out who you are, she can’t be attracted to you. Lastly Suits attract women, Barney Stinson knew his shit.
B) The rest of your images + Instagram: Tinder gives you 5 images, MAKE USE OF ALL OF THEM. It adds credibility even if they aren’t great pictures, it proves that you aren’t some kind of weirdo or that you aren’t a fake profile. To further make yourself look legit connect your Instagram account, trust me it will help you significantly. The major fear for women on Tinder is that you are going to be a creep so adding credibility is very important.
C) Your Bio: I can’t emphasis enough the importance of a good bio. It’s the difference between a girl thinking you’re Mika Singh and her thinking you’re Shah Rukh Khan. On Tinder you are trying to ‘market’ yourself, it’s as simple as that and as with the current trend in the marketing world- Content is King. That means that you have 500 words to mold a women’s perspective of you. To get the best out of it, try the following:
1. Be honest: Don’t lie about being a millionaire or having a penis the size of a cricket bat, women aren’t dumb, they might act that way sometime but they aren’t. So just be yourself.
2. Be Funny: I’m not a very good looking man, in fact the only woman who has accused me of being one is my mother, because she kind of has to but I do have about 96 Tinder matches as of writing this article. That’s a pretty decent number, they key is to make a girl laugh with your bio. If she is laughing she will definitely want to talk to you. As the old Hindi dialogue goes “Hasse to Phasse”.
3. Have a call to action: To refer once again to content marketing, if you want girls to swipe right you’re going to have to explain why they should. A line in the end simply saying something like “Swipe right for man who will make cook you the dinner of a lifetime” can make a huge difference psychologically.
Gip source: Giphy
Get these elements right and you stand a good chance of talking to a lot of ladies on Tinder. So stop wasting your time reading this article (just kidding, please come back again) and start swiping till your thumbs are sore!